Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Things I Wrote In Utah- pt. 2

Things always look better from 37000 feet. So high above the rest of
the people in this tangled up world. It's almost as if the only people
are you and the other passengers, and they don't even necessarily need
any attention. I always wonder about the people in the seats around
me. Right now, as I write this on my phone, the woman to my right is
reading People. Every so often she offers her kids in the seat ahead
of us napkins, or water. She skips the pages with stupid celebrity
gossip and reads the book and movie reviews. She's eating a sandwich
with onions on it. I really hate onions but I'd obviously never tell
her that. She and all her kids are wearing green for saint Patrick's
day which makes me think they're all either Irish or superstitious or
just a fun family. She ordered Chardonnay which means she's probably
afraid of flying, since it's only 3:00. Right now I'm worried she can
read this and one) thinks I'm creepy or two) thinks I'm untalented.
I'd prefer the second. Talent is so objective. Creepiness is less so.

Isn't it odd that I don't even know her name but I know she's married
to a man that drinks diet coke, she has a daughter that does middle
school theater, she's either Irish or superstitious and she likes to
read? Sometimes being observant is the same as being creepy I think.

I'm fairly confident she can't read this.

To my left is a window. I always try and get a window seat because it
calms me down. Not that I think we'll crash. I just like to know where
we
Are.

And while I'm up here
I'll just pretend
That everyone on the ground
Doesn't
Even
Exist

2 comments:

Unknown said...

you make me feel better for also being such a creeper
i like this.

Jaime. said...

That was pretty racist. I've been in the presence of many of your racial slurs, i.e. at newspaper camp, "I HATE JEWISH PEOPLE."

"...Don't worry, I'm Jewish."